Tel Hazor National Park

 

Hazor flourished in the Middle Bronze Age (around 1750 BCE), and the Israelite period (ninth century BCE). It was the largest fortified city in the country at that time, and one of the most important in the Fertile Crescent. It maintained commercial ties with cities in Babylon and Syria, and imported large quantities of tin for the bronze industry. The Bible describes Hazor as “the head of all those kingdoms” (Josh. 11:10).
Tel Hazor National Park is located opposite Kibbutz Ayelet HaShahar, between Rosh Pina and Metula. This archaeological mound is divided into two parts: the acropolis, covering 120 dunams (30 acres), and the lower city, covering about 700 dunams. It features fortifications from the Middle Bronze Age, the large, Late Bronze Age ‘palace,’ a casemate wall attributed to King Solomon, a cultic site from the period of the settlement of the Israelite tribes and a storehouse attributed to the time of King Ahab.
Hazor’s impressive water system, apparently built during King Ahab’s reign, provided the inhabitants with a steady water supply within the city walls in case of siege by means of a 45-m-deep shaft to the water table.
After touring Tel Hazor, we recommend visiting the Hazor antiquities museum at the entrance to Kibbutz Ayelet HaShahar. Group visits must be arranged in advance.
 
How to get there:
From either north or south: exit the Rosh Pina-Kiryat Shmona road (no. 90) toward Ayelet HaShahar. 
 
Length of tour:1-3 hours
Best season:Spring, fall, winter
 
Don't miss:The museum (groups by prior arrangement); the water system
 
Hours:April-September 8 A.M-5 P.M.
October-March 8 A.M.-4 P.M.
Fridays and holiday eves 8 A.M. 3 P.M.
Last entry one hour before above closing hour.
 
Phone:04-693-7290
 
Entrance fee:(including museum): Adult: NIS 22; child: NIS 10;
Israeli senior citizens: 11
Group rate (over 30 people): Adult: NIS 19; child: NIS 8